When To Hire A General Contractor
When you had your bathroom renovated you didn’t call a Staten Island general contractor, so why might you need one now? Here are a few reasons that your project needs may require a general contractor in Staten Island:
· Time– If it looks like the project is going to take more than a few weeks to complete, you probably need a general contractor to help manage things.
· Size– If this is a major construction project or renovation, a general contractor can help coordinate all the moving parts.
· Complexity– If the nature of your project will require hiring several different types of sub-contractors to get it done, it’s probably best to have a general contractor manage the project.
· Permits– If the construction or renovation is going to require various building or construction permits, hiring a Staten Island general contractor is a good choice.
If any of these apply to your project, guess what? You should consider hiring a general contractor!
How To Hire the Right General Contractor
When you’re undertaking a big project that will require hiring a general contractor in Staten Island, the first decision to make is who to hire? After all, there are dozens of contractors out there, and they are not all created equal. A bad hire can be a disaster – but hire the right one and you’ll be guaranteed a renovation or construction project you’ll be proud of.
So how to hire the right contractor? It’s not as difficult as you think. With these tips, you’ll be able to make a decision that will provide peace of mind knowing that your project is in the right hands:
· Ask Friends For Recommendations– I you have family, friends or colleagues who have been through a big construction or renovation project they can be one of your best resources for finding a great contractor. Ask if they are happy with the work that was done; ask for recommendations; ask how their project went. When someone you trust points you to a contractor, you’ll know you can trust them, too.
· Skim Online Reviews– You should never make a decision based solely on online reviews, but by all means take them into consideration. Though they should be taken with a grain of salt, they can sometimes give you an overall sense for what people are saying about a business.
· Always Ask Questions– When you’ve picked a few contractors to call, don’t be shy about asking them questions. Ask what other jobs they’ve done. Ask how they tackle problems. Ask how they foresee your project unfolding. And so on. A good contractor will be prepared to answer!
· Check for Licenses and Insurance– a qualified general contractor in Staten Island requires registration with the NYC Department of Buildings, which allows them to make application for building permits. Check to see if your project requires permitting and make sure the contractor follows through with permits as the responsibility falls on the homeowner. In addition, general contractors should provide Certificates of Insurance for General Liability and Workers Compensation for themselves and their sub-contractors. These qualifications are designed to protect property owners from faulty work and jobsite incidents.
· Get Agreements In Writing– If your project is big enough to need a general contractor, do not settle for a handshake agreement. Getting it in writing is essential both for you and for your contractor.
Despite what you may think, the reality is that securing a contractor you can trust is not as difficult as you may expect. Just do your homework and do your research before making a decision. You and your contractor will BOTH be glad you did!
Four Things to Keep in Mind
When you’re ready to hire a general contractor in Staten Island, there are a few things to keep in mind before you race ahead to sign a contract and make your first payment:
· Understand Your Project Before You Get Estimates– The clearer a picture you have of your construction or renovation, the smoother the project will go.
· Interview Several Contractors– Remember that YOU are doing the hiring!
· Be Patient with Start Times– If you have a big project, it’s likely your contractor can’t start right away. That’s okay. You don’t want them to rush into it unprepared anyway!
· Check References– Don’t feel weird about it. Professionals expect this, and good professionals will be confident you’ll hear good things.
Hire Your Staten Island General Contractor Today
When a big construction or renovation project looms, don’t try to manage it yourself. That’s a recipe for disaster. You need a general contractor.
And now that you’ve found the Home Improvement Contractors of Staten Island, you’ll be able to hire some of the most trusted general contractors in the region. And that means you have a great project ahead of you!